Saturday, January 9, 2010

Good Morning Maui!! Maybe I should've stayed in bed?

I awoke this morning to the heavy clouds that blow through Napili from time to time. They are dense but only appear for a few minutes as they pass through the stratosphere.

I watched in amazement as the dark of the early morning gave way to the light of the now pale blue sky above. It was as if an artists was painting away the white canvas in front with the pale blue mixed off their pallet.

The sunlight rays made the scene next. Casting oranges, pale pinks and hues of warmth across the landscape. Again the painter making adjustments to the canvas before him. Light strokes of color offsetting the white of the canvas.

Watching as the sky took on the painting session before me, I stumbled for my camera sitting on the table. Newly cleaned, dusted and reassembled. I grabbed a pair of flip flops and the car keys, making my way down the street in our rented Chevy to the beach entrance below. I hurried out of the car, locking the doors behind me and walked through the early morning calm to the shoreline rock wall.

Before me was the canvas of painted sky alive with the glory of morning, the ocean below, as turquoise as a crayon and the noise of crashing waves all around...

The air makes me giddy as I take my camera out of my bag - I raise it... frame a perfect landscape through the view finder and then click.

Click. Click? ?

Nothing. Huh? Why nothing? I bring the camera down to have a look. New lens is working... lens cap removed... but I have forgotten the battery.

An essential part of this entire time... a battery. The battery. Still sitting on the table.

Ugh. Maybe I should've stayed in bed. Shooting this landscape this morning, just not meant to be.

But I make the best. There is always tomorrow, there is always another morning... and the next morning, will be different from this morning... the canvas re-painted, the waves re-crashing and me, rethinking the importance of bringing the battery as well as the back-up battery.

Ah inspiration!

No comments:

Post a Comment